- Sauté onions in oil and butter until caramelized and golden brown (be sure that the onions have lost most of their moisture). Then, add thyme and a pinch of salt.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- In a bowl, combine heavy cream, eggs, nutmeg and salt and pepper.
- Whisk the eggs before you add the onions to make the mixture a bit airy.
- Add the onions and combine. Pour mixture into pie shell and bake in a preheated 350º F. oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until center does not jiggle.
For additional tips on caramelizing onions (step 1), you can watch the video for our caramelized sweet onions recipe or check out this blog post.