- In 5-gallon stockpot with a basket, combine the first eight ingredients and bring to a rapid boil.
- Meanwhile, cut sausage links into 2 to 3-inch pieces and roast in pre-heated oven at 400°F (200°C) for 30 minutes, stirring twice; this is optional, but renders much of the fat out and adds a richer flavor.
- Add sausage and onions to water and bring back to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Add red potatoes and corn, and boil for 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and remove from heat after 3 minutes (not necessarily waiting for a boil). Immediately add ice.
- Stir and allow to soak for 10 to 15 minutes (the longer the soak time, the spicier the flavor).
For info on safely handling and preparing sausage, check out these tips from the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service. You can find food safety tips for shrimp and other seafood here.
If you like this recipe, try our Shrimp and Grits with Sweet Onions!