Sweet Onion Cornbread
What's a better addition to sweet cornbread than RealSweet sweet onions? This cornbread is moist, full of flavor, and truly delicious! Try it with our Simple Slow Cooker Chili.
Recipe and photography by Jodi Danen of Create Kids Club.
- ¼ c. Butter
- 1 Large RealSweet® sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 c. Unbleached flour
- 1 c. Yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. Baking powder
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 c. Milk
- 1 c. Sour cream
- 1 c. Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450º F and spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and saute the sweet onion until tender - but not browned - for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the onions, flour, cornmeal, baking powder, egg, milk, sour cream, ½ cup of the cheese and the salt and pepper.
- Stir well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and top with the remaining ½ cup of cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes and check for doneness with a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread. If it comes out clean, the cornbread is ready!
- Allow the bread to cool slightly before cutting it into squares. We suggest serving it warm.