Instant Pot Colcannon with Vidalia Onions
Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish made with mashed potatoes and either kale or cabbage. This version is made in the Instant Pot for a quick and easy side dish for St. Patrick’s Day or any day of the year.
Whether you are Irish or not, it is fun to celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day with some traditions, fun treats, and some comfort foods. If you like mashed potatoes and have never tried Colcannon then this recipe is for you! Adding some cabbage to mashed potatoes is a great way to eat your veggies - even the kids will love it.
What is Colcannon?
If you’ve never heard of Colcannon be prepared for something delicious! This traditional Irish recipe combines potatoes, kale or cabbage, butter, and milk for a creamy and delicious side dish.
*This recipe is from our friends at Healthy Family Project.
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 head green cabbage sliced
- 1 small RealSweet® Vidalia® onion, diced
- 4 lbs Russet potatoes peeled, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup 2% milk
- scallions for garnish
- Saute your cabbage and onions with butter until softened. Add potatoes, water, salt and pepper.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, set to sealing and cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure, add your milk and mash away!