Corned Beef, Cabbage & Sweet Onions
Nothing says St. Patrick's Day more than Corned Beef & Cabbage. The addition of sweet onions to this dish gives the perfect depth of flavor and truly elevates it to the next level. Easy to make and certainly a crowd-pleaser, we hope this recipe will be one you come back to every year!
Recipe created and photographed by Food Wine Sunshine.
1 (3 -4 pound) corned beef brisket with spice packet
4 cups water - or just enough to cover the corned beef in your pot
1 RealSweet® onion, quartered
4 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
10 - 12 baby red potatoes
1 small head cabbage, cut into eighths
- Place corned beef into a dutch oven or large pot. Cover with water and pour in the spice packet contents.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 2 - 2.5 hours. Meat will almost be fork-tender.
- Add the onions and carrots, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are almost tender, about 30 minutes more.
- Place cabbage pieces on top of and around meat, cover the pot, and simmer until cabbage is tender, 10 - 20 minutes more.
- Remove meat to a cutting board and let rest for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Grab a bowl and fill it with corned beef, cabbage, onions, carrots and potatoes! Don't forget to ladle on some of that delicious broth.
- Serve with honey mustard and/or horseradish if desired.