- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- In a dutch oven or cast iron skillet, cook bacon until crisp then remove from pan, reserving 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Discard the rest of the grease.
- To the drippings in the pan, add the reserved bacon grease and butter. Heat over medium heat.
- Add red wine vinegar, whiskey, water, brown sugar, and dijon mustard. Stir and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in onions and cover. Cook on medium for 15 minutes. Remove cover, stir and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Carefully transfer ⅔ of the bacon jam into a food processor or blender, puree until just chopped. Stir in the other ⅓ of the jam.
- Place brie into a medium sized oven serving dish with edges (cheese will spread after cutting into it). Top with bacon jam and bake for 15 minutes.
- Drizzle generously with balsamic vinegar.
- Serve immediately with crackers or bread.
For information on safely handling and preparing bacon, check out these tips from the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service.
If you like this recipe, try our Sweet Onion Charcuterie Board!