Sweet Onion Cornbread
- Difficulty Level Easy
- ¼ c. Butter
- 1 Large RealSweet® sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 c. Unbleached flour
- 1 c. Yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. Baking powder
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 c. Milk
- 1 c. Sour cream
- 1 c. Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450º F and spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and saute the sweet onion until tender - but not browned - for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the onions, flour, cornmeal, baking powder, egg, milk, sour cream, ½ cup of the cheese and the salt and pepper.
- Stir well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and top with the remaining ½ cup of cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes and check for doneness with a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread. If it comes out clean, the cornbread is ready!
- Allow the bread to cool slightly before cutting it into squares. We suggest serving it warm.