Love onion rings, but not all the grease? Bake them in the oven! These oven-baked Vidalia® sweet onion rings are perfect for a family cookout, to pair with burgers or for game day.
RealSweet® Vidalia® Baked Onion Rings
- 2 Large RealSweet® Vidalia® sweet onions
- 2 c. All-purpose flour
- 2 c. Buttermilk
- 4 Eggs
- 4 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Oregano, dried
- 1 tsp. Basil, dried
- 3 c. Breadcrumbs
- 4 Tbs. Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450° F and place parchment paper on baking sheets, set aside.
- Slice onions into large rings, separating them, and set aside. Combine flour, paprika, oregano, basil and salt in small bowl. In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk and eggs.
- Add half of flour mixture to the buttermilk and beat until smooth and thickened.
- Place breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Lightly dredge onion rings in flour mixture and drop in buttermilk mixture. Let excess batter drip off then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Arrange rings on baking sheets in a single layer, drizzle olive oil over rings and place in oven.
- Cook until golden brown, 14 to 20 minutes, flipping each ring over once half way through cooking.