RealSweet® Chicken, Tomatoes & Garlic
Published on May 2, 2015 | By Shuman Produce |
- 3 lbs. Chicken, bone-in legs or thighs
- 2 Medium RealSweet® sweet onions
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh sage
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh rosemary
- 3 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- ½ c. White Wine
- 1 Can (28 oz.) Diced tomatoes
- 1 Can (14 oz.) Whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 8 Cloves Garlic, peeled
- 1 Pkg. (16 oz.) Pasta
- Fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat an ovenproof skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and butter. Once the oil and butter is hot, add the chicken to the pan.
- Using tongs, brown on all sides, about 2 minutes. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add sweet onions and caramelize, about 20 minutes.
- Add wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any bits and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the tomatoes with juice and add tomato paste. Add salt and pepper to taste, stirring to combine.
- Bring sauce to a boil, then turn off heat.
- Add fresh herbs, garlic and the chicken legs. Put a lid on the pot or skillet and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove pot from oven and allow it to sit on the counter with the lid on while cook the pasta to al dente, per package instructions.
- Drain and add to a large serving bowl.
- Check the sauce: if it’s overly thin, remove the chicken from the pot and boil the sauce, uncovered, on the stovetop for 5 to 10 minutes. Check seasonings to taste and adjust as needed.
- To serve, pour sauce over cooked pasta, then arrange chicken pieces over the top. Sprinkle generously with fresh Parmesan and serve with crusty bread.