Potato and Sweet Onion Soup
- 4 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Medium RealSweet® sweet onions, sliced
- 2 lbs. Potatoes, sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 c. Celery, coarsely chopped
- 3 c. Milk
- 5 ½ c. Chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ c. Fresh chives, chopped
- ½ tsp. Celery seeds
- ¼ tsp. Dried thyme
- 1 c. Cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roux: 2 Tbsp. Butter; 2 Tbsp. All-purpose flour
- Garnish: ½ c. Fresh chives; 6 Slices Bacon; ½ c. Cheddar cheese
- In a 6 to 8 quart stockpot over medium heat, melt 4 Tbsp. butter and add onion, garlic and celery.
- Cook gently, being careful to not let the onion or garlic brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the peeled and sliced potatoes, milk, chicken stock, ¼ cup chives, celery seeds and thyme. Stir to combine. Cover the pot and cook on medium heat for about an hour.
- Prepare a roux: In a small saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp. butter and whisk in the flour. Let the flour and butter mixture bubble for about 2 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Thicken the soup with the roux, whisking carefully to avoid lumps. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from heat and add to a food processor or bender to puree. Pour the mixture back into the pot, add the cream and gently reheat on medium, being careful to not allow the soup to boil.
- Season with the salt and pepper to taste and serve topped with fresh chives, bacon pieces and cheddar cheese.