Classic Sweet Onion Soup
- 4 Large RealSweet® onions, sliced
- 6 Tbs. Butter
- 1 Tbs. Sugar
- 2 Quarts Reduced sodium beef broth
- ½ c. Brandy (optional)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ Baguette French bread, sliced, toasted
- Grated Romano cheese
- Melt butter in a large saucepan that holds at least 4 quarts.
- Add sweet onions and cook over medium heat for 12 minute or until the onions are tender and golden, stirring often.
- Add sugar and cook, stirring for 1 minute
- Add broth, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 12 minutes.
- If desired, add brandy and cook 2 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Float toast on top of onion soup and sprinkle with cheese.